While it is our intent to continue supplying gripfids for ply-split braiding worldwide, in recognition of Louise’s 80th year we have decided to disclose the system we have used to make thousands of gripfids of our original design. These instructions are available without cost here, but we ask (if you are willing. It is not required.):
While we provide this information without cost, we do not release it to the public domain. Our copyright still applies.
1. Grind a hollow knitting needle to proper depth.
2. Cut a slot to elongate the internal vee groove (see below in step 4).
3. Remove the big burr with a deburring wheel.
4. Remove remaining little burrs and shape the vee groove with needle file.
5. Hand polish and inspect.
6. Cut to length and glue on the knob.
Each step is done in large batches to minimize setup time. Aside from setup the approximate time it takes for each step above:
1. 40 seconds per gripfid
2. 15 seconds
3. 15 seconds
4. 60 seconds
5. About 2 to 5 minutes depending on work needed
6. 10 seconds
Total time is about 5 to 10 minutes plus setup time, or about a dozen gripfids per hour. We do the steps in batches of 30 to 100 so setup time is low per gripfid. Materials cost per dozen gripfids including abrasives and needles is less than $24 or less than $2.00 each.
Ply-Split Braiding gripfids, cords, cord makers, books.
©All content is copyrighted by Louise French 2007-2020
Contact Louise by e-mail at louise @ louisefrench.com